1. I bought a dress that was several sizes too large for my daughter so I would have extra fabric to work with. (I got it at Ross for $30 (2013). I figured if I ruined it I was only out $30.
2. I found a pattern that had a bodice I thought would work. I used Simplicity 1687.
3. When my daughter tried it on, I pinned it to her and marked how much fabric needed to be cut out of the back seam and cut. I also cut off the extra unneeded fabric off the hem to use for the bodice and sleeves.
4. Make the bodice from the extra fabric I had to piece together some of the fabric, (I did lengthen the bodice pattern to be sure it tucked it deep enough.)
5. Attach the new bodice to the original bodice and slip stitch together by hand.
6. Apply an invisible zipper to the back seam
7. Hem
8. Add more bling if desired. I did add more bling, but we decided we liked it better plain, so I'll be taking off the extra.
This is my first attempt to do something like this and there are many mistakes, but on the whole it looks nice and my daughter is excited to have something pretty and modest to wear to the prom. I am posting this in case someone else is having a hard time finding a dress with sufficient coverage and wants to try modifying one also.

This looks really good! I think the dress looks prettier with the additions, and you did such a good job. I'm very impressed!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI am SO impressed! I'm very proud of you actually doing it AND thinking to take a before picture, it is so fun to see the difference. I can't wait to see pictures of the actual event!
ReplyDelete